Highlighting Clarendon Schools With Male Teachers On Staff
“Tell me & I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” – Benjamin Franklyn
Effective strategies used to 'teach or reach the male brain' by male teachers
Using examples that males can relate to is a strategy that I normally use. Also, males tend to adopt better with a hands-on approach. Separating the girls from the boys also works for subject areas.
Competitions through games, use pictures or graphic organizers to explain concepts, music
I have used tactile/outdoor team games. These are based on the premise that boys learn best through their external environment.
As we know that boys are much more physically active than girls and often times required more opportunity to move around and exercise their energy and behaviour in a positive way.
As such i try to incorporate various activities such as;
1. Games ( on and off the field activities)
2. Class competition ( football, netball, cricket, spellings and quiz)
3. Give students reward and praise
4. Utilizing technology in the classroom ( Maths, Music, Reading and many others)
5. Class Discussion, addressing mistakes and cooperative learning.